This children’s program was started at Wheatland in 1987 with the purpose of educating children through music, dance, storytelling, crafts and nature while promoting family tradition and fellowship. Wheatscouts also gives the adults a chance to bond with other grown-ups while turning the little ones loose for a couple of hours.
Wheatscouts meet during the months from October – May, takes place from 11am till 1pm in the Gladys Wernette building on the Wheatland Music site. Each season kicks off with a Wheatscouts Family Campout, held on site at Wheatland.
Wheatscouts is offered free of charge, is open to the public and a small healthy snack will be provided. (Feel free to bring a snack to share as well) Each gathering is uniquely themed, so stay tuned to both the Wheatland website and Wheatscouts Facebook Group for up-to-date information.
If you would like additional information regarding Wheatscouts you may call the WMO Office at 989-967-8879 or email at email@example.com. If you would like to be added to the Wheatscouts email list just send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2016-2017 Wheatscouts Schedule
- October 1-2: Wheatscouts Campout! – We are kicking off this season with the Wheatscouts Camp out October 1st – 2nd hosted by Kris and Bruce. Nan Nickson will be helping the kids with tie dye – she will have some handkerchiefs on hand, but feel free to bring your own item to dye and the take home! There will also be a potluck Saturday evening so bring a dish to pass. Event starts at 11am, October 1st and ends 11am October 2nd.
- November 12 – Lake Effect – Lake Effect is a family roots band from northern Michigan. Their performances are family friendly, interactive and so much fun. They include music, puppets, stories and always include the kids in a variety of ways. This will be a truly fun and unforgettable time for kids and parents.
- December 10 – Ornament Workshop, Caroling, Holiday Treats – To help us all get into the Christmas Spirit, we are going to have an Ornament Workshop. There will be workstations for three different ornaments for kids to make. There will also be caroling and favorite holiday treats during snack time.
- January 14 – Musical Performances, Sledding & Hot Chocolate – We are kicking off 2017 with Glynn and Susie Russell and the Broken Glass String Band, as well as a showcase of some of the students who have taken part in the music lessons provided by Glynn, Susie and other Wheatland instructors. Bring snow gear for a round of sledding, if the weather cooperates. There will be hot chocolate and snacks. Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday!! 11:00 am…snow or shine!
- February 11 – Make Your Own Hula Hoop – Supplies will be available to make and tape your own hoop. So come romp and hoop to your hearts content!
- March 11 – Blue Water Ramblers – For this Wheatscouts event, the Blue Water Ramblers will be not only performing but also leading the craft! This will be a very fun and interactive event, so bring your listening ears and your dancing shoes, and be prepared to have some fun!
- April 8 – Natural Egg Dyeing & Outdoor Play
- May 13
Wheatscouts takes place in the Gladys Wernette Classroom Building from 11am-1pm.